Thursday 21 March 2024

Kidney Stones

Ahh, the joys of kidney stones!

March 16, 2024
I am so clever... tonight I'm passing a small kidney stone on my right side, 9 months after my last one. This one only seems like a small one, tho... but I'll keep an eye on it. "She'll be right, mate!"

(One hour later)
OK... Panadol has kicked in and pain has dropped from an annoying 2/10 to 0.5/10 now. Phew.
I *DO* know what 10/10 pain feels like [unfortunately]... this is nothing, just annoying. [grins]

(Three+ hours later)
Well, that was a staggering anti-climax... I was aware of it 'passing' later that night uneventfully. No problems at all.
I feel stoopid, as a lot of my #MS online family experience pain ALL the time. I am humbled.


Tonight (Wednesday 5 July 2023) my left kidney thought would be a great time to pass a kidney stone! I've got some pain meds, and it'll be a long night here at home drinking copious clear fluids, slowly pacing the floor, and just waiting it out. That's all that needs to happen for me.

This will be my c.6th time in 30 years! I knew 'that' pain straight away when it started at 6 pm. Everything else is OK, thank gawd for that.

Thankfully, they usually break up in my bladder, so passing it isn't the problem. The negative bit is its transition from the kidney to the bladder! D'oh!

"She'll be right"... it'll just be a long night of slowly pacing around my home - not worrying, but simply being unable to get comfortable until it passes.

They don't know why I get them, either! D'oh! I drink enough clear fluids daily to sink a submersible...


Update: Wednesday night @ 10pm
4 hours gone, and I think it's moving along OK [which is GOOD!]. Just can't sit for too long or relax while it's happening. Pain comes and goes, a stabbing kind of pain, and is only a 5/10 tbh, Stoic bugger that I am.

Update: Thursday morning @ 5am... discomfort slowly easing (?); unable to sleep, but thankfully the Cricket is on [grins]. I continue to drink clear fluids like a fish. I don't think I've suffered any side effects at all? [laffs] 

Update: Thursday morning @ 9.45am
Coming up to 16 hours, I have only managed to be relatively pain-free and comfortable enough to lie down and 'rest' for just one hour. It all seems to be moving, albeit slowly. So very tired, but happy enough. The only pain meds I have left are Panadol (I had some Endone earlier, but for whatever reason it has absolutely no effect on me at all), yet they only take the edge off this discomfort for about one hour, but I can only take more every four hours. The pain comes and goes, and radiates from back to front - classic kidney stones.

Update: Thursday morning @ 11am
Sudden GRABBING 7/10 pain sees me hobbling around my house clutching poor Fred. Tis just the final bit, where the stone is at the entry to the bladder. Bloody hurts. So weary but cannot sit or lay down at all. Easing a bit now for me to be able to sit and write this.

Update: Thursday afternoon @ 1pm
19 hours in. This is the first chance where I've been relatively pain-free for the past c.2 hours. It was sitting on a severe 7/10, and I was thinking, "Well, that's enough!" I was starting to think 'Hospital' (got my bag ready etc), but then I got the urge to pee. The pain dropped back to about a 4/10 quickly as a result - much more bearable. Nothing 'passed' (no toilet bowl 'ping! lol), but maybe the stone has now entered the bladder, where they usually break down and pass painlessly for me - fingers & toes crossed. I am so tired/weary (almost can't keep my eyes open), but starting to feel a lot better after that pee. Actually might be able to relax more easily... I have not been able to sit/stand/lay down at all comfortably these past two hours to relax at all, let alone post online (couldn't concentrate etc). I threw up at one stage c. midday, just from the pain.
It's so weird - every time I've gone thru this situation previously, the situation ends completely differently for me.

(Addendum): Thanks gawd for Fred... he carried a huge load (emotionally [reassurance] and physically) during this whole episode when I was hobbling about slowly trying to find some sort of comfort in order to relax.

Update: 10pm Thursday night.
Pain got too bad and I called an ambulance [no cost as a pensioner]. Pain was hitting 8+ / 10. Finally got some pain relief etc at hospital, and had a CT Scan. I may have a stent put on my left kidney tomorrow. That will be confirmed tomorrow, as a 5mm stone is stuck! Ack! I'm currently in no pain, and watching the Test Cricket on my new phone [grins]. Good timing [on my part] with this phone: just got it yesterday.
I spent the night on a bed in the Emergency Dept of our local hospital. Note: all this medical stuff etc will cost me nothing here in Australia, thanks to Medicare (ie. universal health care) and the fact that I'm on a Pension.

What a happy camper!
You've gotta laff!

Update: 7.30am Friday morning.
Going up to Orange Base Hospital [c.45 min drive west of here] with my awesome brother this morning, to have a stent done on my left kidney; tis just day surgery. I have a canular in, too. I hoped I might have 'passed' the stone, but no such luck [lol]. Pain is manageable for me ATM. Not stressed. Slept well. Apparently, the stone is stuck... yay me [lol]
Gotta love this new camera and Snapchat filters... plus I got to watch the Test Cricket last night too. Gotta laff.

Update: Friday 7.30pm
Orange Hospital visit and Stent surgery all went fine. Staying overnight at my Brother's & SIL's place. Home-home tomorrow.  All's relatively well, just very weary... I wonder why? [Laffs].


UPDATE: 10.30am Saturday
I'm still staying at my brother and S-I-L's place in Lithgow for a few hours still. David and Colleen continue to be so very supportive, generous and gracious, which I'm so thankful for. ❤️
Last night was pretty uncomfortable for me physically (I'll spare you the yucky TMI details, tho! lol) tho I'm feeling positive. I am still pretty 'tender' (to say the least).
This stone/surgery has really surprised me by its random physical intensity. Thankfully, I'm still able to watch the Test Cricket at night on my new phone (I feel so spoilt! lol)

Quick update: Saturday 1.30pm
I'll be staying at David and Colleen's (brother & wife) place again tonight. Still pretty tender, but slowly recovering, thankfully.
I'm going to actively pursue NDIS physical personal disability assistance next week... I have been in denial about it all for too long, I'll be honest.
There have been no negative side effects for me from the whole situation - none at all! ðŸ˜Š





NB. My last Kidney Stone: February 2022

Prior event: March 2009

Prior to that: Warwick, July 2012


PLEASE NOTE: This post is not a "pity-party/woe-is-me" thing, as I'm simply sharing a very brief insight into some of the reasons why I may act so "up and down" from time to time.




Peas be with ewe 
Mal

8 comments:

  1. Ouch, kidney stones are very painful. Hope it not to long before it's passing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had it twice before - black coffee didn't help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Still pretty tender, but thankfully recovering.

      Delete
  3. Bugger, at least you got some pain relief. Stent sounds like a good idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Still pretty tender, but thankfully recovering.

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you will feel better after the surgery. A good night's sleep is always a good thing. Love the playing with pic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Still pretty tender, but thankfully recovering.

      Delete