Tuesday 4 September 2018

A Blog Post


I haven't written an actual blog post for ages - and that's OK, too.

Right at the moment, it's hard to write, as my "balance" of various health stuff is really messing up my head. Let alone the MS is playing silly buggers with both my "dizzy fingers" and attention span - it's all very frustrating.

I slept 15 hours today... crazy times. Not that I didn't want to or couldn't get out of bed... it's just that my body must have said "enough - you can just miss today", and shut down! The catch-22 is, it's now 3am the next day, and I've been wide awake for a few hours now - complete with "the dizzies" and shitting blood [it'll stop by tomorrow, you wait'n'see...] Oh, ain't it great to be me?!?

Oh, I'm just not having a good day... sometimes it all feels to build-up on me, and I'm not sure how much more of all this stuff I can cope with anymore. Then it'll pass again - like a good fart [laffs].

I've wanted to write a "newsletter"-type post/letter for a few months now - thanks for the inspiration David and Nola in Sydney! Every time I've tried to put finger to keyboard, the brain just seems to turn to mush... this time, I'm just gonna push thru it and what comes out comes out as it comes, typos and all.

One things that keeps me feeling relatively happy these days is the ABC Jazz online radio (I usually listen to it thru my TV's set-top box) - burbling gently away in the background, nice and relaxing, especially when my attention span seems to have flown out the window.

This has been my second week when I have deliberately decided that I wouldn't be presenting radio - it's a weird feeling not doing it, but the double-edged sword at the moment is - I just can't seem to focus/concentrate enough to be able to do it properly. I'll come back to it soon enough - I think I just needed a break to clear my head of it a bit, that's all. The radio station has been amazingly supportive, and said I am welcome back at anytime I feel ready - plus I made the newspaper about it as well (for good reasons, of course! hahaha).

I know my patience has been shot lately as well - maybe it's just all kinda creeping up and catching up with me? I dunno. Some days I'm fine, then others I want to just do the whole "stand at an open window and shout out angrily at the world" thing [insert "Network" meme here] [laffs].

I don't watch much TV at all - there's nothing on that makes me interested enough to want to watch it, to be honest. I get my news, sport and weather online, and I don't miss being slaved to the idiot box as much as i used to, say 30 years ago. I literally do not even think to turn it on anymore. Too much negativity - I'm dealing with that in my own head as it is [laffs ironically].

I watch DVD's tho - I have a large, eclectic and diverse collection to pick and choose from here. I don't have Netflix or anything like that (no pay TV/cable etc). Some of the more interesting things I have stumbled across lately have been:

"Loving Vincent" is pure art cinema. it's a film about the final days of Vincent Van Gogh, but each individual frame of the print is hand-painted in his style - it's simply breathtaking to experience.

While I usually avoid the whole horror genre like the plague, I stumbled across "Dracula Untold", a fantasy back-story of Vlad the Impaler and how he became... well, you know. I actually really enjoyed it - of course, you suspend disbelief, and simply go along for the ride. Well made and acted.

I have never watched any Japanese 'anime' ever - but last month I watched one of the most amazing things I've ever seen! "Made in Abyss" came out last year, and while it took me a little bit to get past certain features of storytelling that must be unique to Japan (I guess?), the whole story, characterisations, drama, emotion, art, music - it's all there! I'm not going to start watching anything else as a result, tho - but this is absolute state of the art in storytelling etc etc. Never in a million years would I have ever have imagined that I would willing watch - and enjoy - anime! [laffs out loud]. I must have become an official "Weeaboo", huh?

The other things I have been revisiting over these past weeks, have been the "Harry Potter" films. I'm not a "Potterhead" or anything - I just really appreciate the good storytelling. I'm upto the 4th film so far - and have enjoyed them all again muchly. Watching them in like 20-30 minute bites here and there has been refreshing as well - not feeling totally fogged/tied down with them all.

My late mum would have adored movie series like these - this, and Lord of the Rings - would have blown her away. She absolutely loved movies and movie making - passed that onto me, I guess [smiles].

Altho I've seen the Potter films a few times now over the years, isn't it always interesting to notice little things you'd never noticed before? Like in the "Chamber of Secrets", right at the end when Harry hands Tom Riddle's diary back to Lucious Malfoy, Lucious goes to use the death curse on him! Woah. Then in the "Prisoner of Askaban", during the whole time-turning sequence, there is the sound of a clicking watch ongoing in the background? I thought that was very cool.

Oh, blah blah blah! [laffs]

Typing this out has helped lift my spirits a little, even if it's disjointed to read. So - thanks.

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

2 comments:

  1. I didn't find it disjointed and it lifted my sports too. So thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't disjointed to me and it lifted my spirits

    ReplyDelete