Monday 22 April 2024

Movies I've Watched, Enjoyed and Appreciated Recently


Movies/Series I've Watched, Enjoyed and Appreciated Recently
 πŸŽ₯🎬


► What movies have You enjoyed recently? ❔




► Also: Mal's Movie Collection (1,000+ titles) 





March-April 2024

  • ⭐ I rewatched the terrifyingly-excellent TV Mini Series "Chernobyl" (2019) again. "Terrifying" as whilst this is very accurate and graphic, in reality: IT WAS FAR WORSE! 
  • This is a must-see: great acting, storytelling, direction, cinematography etc etc.
    • Me: 4-1/2 out of 5: ⭐⭐⭐⭐ +




          • πŸ’₯ Constantine (2005) - Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz
            • Wow, just wow. I'd heard a lot about it, and it was worth it. Not one of those goofy Superhero movies at all; great acting, atmosphere, characters, story; thought-provoking stuff, for sure.
            • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐

          • πŸ’₯ Contact (1997) - Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey
            • Another flick I had in my DVD folders that I pulled out randomly, having not watched it as yet. Totally unexpected how good I found it.
            • LOVED IT! Great story, acting, direction, atmosphere, characters.
            • Science v Faith? Are they compatible?
            • Me: 4.5/5  ⭐⭐⭐+

          • Road to Perdition (2002) - Tom Hanks, Paul Newman
            • Fascinating graphic crime movie about fatherhood, and the consequences of crime. Great acting, great atmospheres and cinematography. Although I rarely watch things like this, I enjoyed it.
            • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐

          • Beetlejuice (1988) - Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Michael Keaton
            • Classic fun silly dark comedy horror, perfect Tim Burton flick. I'd watched it years ago, and it'd been on my 're-watch list' for ages... so I did, and muchly enjoyed.
            • The Dinner Scene is worth the price of admission alone.



          • The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985) - Mia Farrow, Jeff Daniels
            • A fascinating (altho deliberately hammily-acted) film about the fantasy of the cinema, the allure of the fictions it portrays and about distinguishing real dreams from false dreams.
            • It didn't quite 'do it' for me, but I wholly appreciate what Woody was trying to do.
            • Me: 2.5/5  ⭐⭐+


          January-February 2024

          I bought myself a glorious-sounding and ultra-comfortable set of headphones just to listen to my DVD's, for both sitting up in bed or on my TV. Why haven't I done this years ago? D'oh!


          • The Good Place (Series; 53 Episodes) (2016-2020) – Kristen Bell, William Jackson Harper, Jameela Jamil, Manny Jacinto, Ted Danson, D'Arcy Carden
          • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐
            • I’ve been re-watching a few episodes a day over this month, even though I watched it a few years ago – I love it, despite its flaws. I adore its originality, writing, acting, setting, and tone, and their exploration and creative use of ethics and philosophy. And great characters... and some very fun very silly moments!
            • I mean, dayum… how can I become so emotionally attached to fictional characters, that I always cry at the end? To me, that is the mark of good writing.

          • 28 Days Later (2002) - Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris
            • An updated attempt at a "Day of the Triffids" apocalyptic zombie horror thing; not my cup of tea (I've never been into horror/zombie etc flicks; just thought I'd give this one a go all the same), but there some beautiful poetic shots of water falling and a deceased London.
            • Me: 2.5/5  ⭐⭐+

          • The Zone of Interest (2023) - Christian Friedel, Sandra HΓΌller 
            • An icy-cold dispassionate domestic look at life outside of Auschwitz; somehow it displays the entire "Banality of Evil" around this atrocious time in history. Brilliantly done, but still very unsettling; definitely not for everyone.
            • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐

          • πŸ’₯ Soul (2020) - Pixar πŸ’₯
            • I enjoyed rewatching this GREAT classic Pixar story about passion; great characters, animation, awesome jazz; highly recommend this one.
            • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐


          • πŸ’₯ The Lobster (2015) - Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz πŸ’₯
            • I rewatched this after seeing it for the first time a few years ago... still a remarkable experience.
            • Note: it's definitely not a film for everyone, but it's so bizarre (in a good way[?]) that I love it.
            • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐
              • "The Lobster" is an offbeat absurdist surreal deadpan dark comedy drama film that explores human behavior and relationships, touching on topics like social pressure and conformity, made with a dynamic artistic quality.
              • Basic Premise: It is set in a dystopian near-future society where being single is prohibited... a world in which love is mandatory, and people who don’t find a match are turned into animals.
              • The film's satirical style presents a world that seems absurd and irrational, while also making it believable for the audience.
          • A really great way to explain this wonderful albeit bizarre film: https://gamerant.com/the-lobster-ending-explained/

              • πŸ’₯ Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) - John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Disney (Prod.) πŸ’₯
                • I rewatched some great fun enjoyable Disney animated entertainment, with enough emotional highs, lows and Disney references to be swallowed by a whale... [lol]
                • Me: 4/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐




              October-November 2023


              • Biosphere (2022) - Sterling K. Brown, Mark Duplass
                • sci-fi comedy, that started well, but went somewhere I was NOT expecting, and I didn't finish watching it.


              August 2023






              June 2023




              May 2023

              • Stranger Than Fiction (2006) - Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, Emma Thompson


              • Sisu (2023) - Jorma Tommila, Aksel Hennie
                • WW2 action lust over gold with a definite Tarantino gore ethos (NB. I'm not normally interested in this kind of stuff, but this is brilliantly directed, acted, and atmospheric, albeit a bit of a silly plot, but that's OK!)
                • Me: 4/5   ⭐⭐⭐⭐








                January-April 2023


                  • I started watching "Idiocracy" (2006), but turned it off after c.30 minutes. Absolute rubbish. The concept is HIGHLY contemporarily relevant, tho...







                    • Fall (2022) - Grace Caroline Currey, Virginia Gardner 










                            Sept-December 2022






                                  • πŸ’₯ Made in Abyss: The Golden City of the Scorching Sun (2022) πŸ’₯
                                    • I don't watch anime... but this is A-maze-ing! πŸ’₯
                                    • Me: 5/5  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  • My Blogpost πŸ’₯







                                      • WandaVision (2022) 
                                        • I'm not into any of those superhero movies at all. This Series has a great concept that starts well and then ends disappointingly silly
                                        • Me: 3.5/5  ⭐⭐⭐+






                                      πŸ’₯ Movies I've YET to watch, enjoy and appreciate (out of the recent batch of movies I have sourced and are ready-to-go):

                                      • Grave of the Fireflies (1988) (NB. I know what this is about; I will have to be in an emotionally-strong place to experience this masterpiece).
                                      • Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) (nb. I'm not into Westerns, but after "The Good The Bad and the Ugly" [a true classic!], this is something to anticipate).



                                      ► Also: Mal's Movie Collection (1,000+ titles) πŸ’₯

                                      ► Also: Mal's 5 out of 5 Movies πŸ’₯





                                      Peas be with ewe 
                                      Mal

                                      No comments:

                                      Post a Comment