Monday 27 November 2023

Mal's 5 out of 5 Movies He's Seen


Here's a list of my 5 out of 5 Movies
I've seen
My all-time Favourites

Any film that leaves a long-lasting emotional response/impression is a sign of great filmmaking.

And yes, I've watched and enjoyed them all repeatedly.


I know, I know... as soon as you make a "list", it's always open to debate! That's OK though, as everyone's tastes are different and individual.

I caught my mum's passion for appreciating the art of movie-making... she was like the Bill Collins of the Blue Mountains.


Are any of yours on this list?
What are your favourites?
Why's that?


► Here's a list of the 1,000+ DVD movies I've got... there are plenty of 4-1/2's and 4's on there, too! I don't watch much TV at all these days, hence all these DVDs.

















  • Dead Poets Society (1989) - Robin Williams: "Dare to dream"; for many years, I could not re-watch this film again, as the opening sequence features the father, and I just... well, powerful film-making 100%.





  • Fawlty Towers (1978-1980) - John Cleese: THE most-perfect TV comedy ever created, bar none.


















  • Mrs Doubtfire (1993) - Robin Williams: I'll never forget watching this on a bus/coach, and the entire bus laughing at the scene when [he] sets his breasts on fire...




  • The Pianist (2002) - Adrien Brody: Surviving the Holocaust - visually and emotionally challenging but rewarding.


  • Saving Private Ryan (1998) - Tom Hanks: That first 20-minute sequence... you are ON the beach... I had to stop watching at that point and get some 'air', the first time I experienced it; no wonder Vets don't want to talk about their experiences... Respect.

  • Schindler's List (1993) - Liam Neeson: The scene when the children almost get put on a 'train' - I jumped up and almost punched the screen! Then there's the "Girl in the Red Dress"...

  • Shoah (1985) - Claude Lanzmann (Dir.): A marathon, but a rewardingly-challenging viewpoint of The Holocaust.






  • True Lies (1994) - Arnold Schwarzenegger: Thank gawd Hollywood doesn't always take itself too seriously.



  • Wall-E (2008) - Pixar (Prod.): These guys KNOW how to tell a story, with virtually no dialogue!






💥  Some OTHER notable titles I really enjoyed include: ðŸ’¥
(All highly recommended... check them out if you haven't already.)

  • Atonement (2007) - James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, Romola Garai, Saoirse Ronan
  • Babylon (2022) - Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Diego Calva
  • Brazil (1985) - Jonathan Price
  • Carnivale (Series) (2004-06) - Michael J. Anderson, Adrienne Barbeau, Patrick Bauchau
  • Chernobyl [series] (2019) - Jared Harris, Stellan SkarsgÃ¥rd, Emily Watson, Paul Ritter
  • Fall (2022) - Grace Caroline Currey, Virginia Gardner
  • The Fall (2006) - Lee Pace, Tarsem Singh (Dir.)
  • Fargo (1996) - Frances McDormand, William H. Macy
  • Hanna (2011) - Saoirse Ronan
  • Joyeux Noel (Merry Christmas) (2005) - Christian Carion
  • Looper (2012) - Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt
  • Lord Of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - Elijah Wood
  • Lord Of the Rings - The Two Towers (2002) - Ian McKellen
  • Lord Of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003) - Viggo Mortensen
  • Mr Bean: Collection (2007) - Rowan Atkinson
  • Rango (2011) - Johnny Depp
  • Ravenous (1998) - Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle
  • Room (2015) - Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay
  • Rope (1948) - Jimmy Stewart, Alfred Hitchcock (Dir.)
  • Sisu (2023) - Jorma Tommila, Aksel Hennie
  • Stranger Than Fiction (2006) - Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, Emma Thompson
  • Sunshine (2007) - Cillian Murphy, Rose Byrne
  • Treasure Planet (2002) - Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brian Murray, Emma Thompson (Disney)
  • Vikings (Series 1-5) (2013-18) - Travis Fimmel
  • Waterworld (1995) - Kevin Costner (*I* liked it! lol)





Bookmark This Page: Mal's 5-Star Movies

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

5 comments:

  1. I agree with 12 Monkeys- it is under-appreciated and always reveals a new complexity. And Castaway with Tom Hanks- very clever and amazing solo performance for most of the story; Sixth Sense- still makes me cry. Blazing Saddles still makes me absolutely cack myself laughing- so silly!! Lawrence of Arabia was the first super-wide screen film I ever saw and the whole experience is embedded deep in my brain. I remember that the whole school went to see it and so many of us were super-impressed and read the history of what happened with new understanding. The only history I ever appreciated at school- refused to take it after Form 2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was quite interesting to me as I was studying psychopathology at the time. I recognised the moster that was McMurphy as a real sociopath with anger problems and what was called a "conduct disorder" at the time. Basically he didn't give a shit about anyone and had no brakes on his own behaviour,all made worse by alcohol - which he really enjoyed! An arsehole no one would want to meet. Ever. The mixture of people with different mental health issues all tossed in together to make each other worse was very typical of most mental hospitals and still can be, esp. in rural areas. They were NOT places to find mental health. In Australia, most ECT units were run pretty conservatively, although private hospitals were another kettle of fish- and still can be if they don't have a good supervisor. Obviously that movie still makes me think a lot! Also, it makes me look after myself so I can avoid the fateful words "I think you need admitting for a few days"! Sorry I raved all over your blog!! Find s some more movies to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay... Great movies, oh yes!!!
      Yes, I agree that mental health facilities are not always the best these days; altho my experience with the ones I've been in have been all positive.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see The Good, Bad & the Ugly made the 'also' list at least. I will also mention one that's stuck with me over the years - 'To End All Wars' and a doc called 'On My Way to School'. Thanks Mal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm not familiar with those... I will definitely check them out.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Just finished watching "To End All Wars"... deeply moving. Thank you.

      Delete