Wednesday 27 December 2023

Xmas 2023

Mal's Blog Post


(*) Alex (my youngest) and Sophie dropped in at home on Xmas, and we had a relaxed happy positive time just hanging out. Great for the psyche.



Mal, Alex and Sophie
Xmas 2023

We started talking music (surprise surprise [no pun intended!] lol). I'd given Alex one of my old basses many years ago, and we pulled out one of my old basses here and had a quick fiddle. (First time I'd picked up a stringed instrument in quite a few years, actually... felt like a brick in my hands, sadly).

Sophie mentioned that she'd like to try and learn guitar, and this old guitar of mine [below] (that was just sitting around gathering dust, basically) would be perfect for her to begin on.

Since I don't/can't play anymore, it was time to "Pay-It-Forward" after many happy years of enjoyment. (Oh, I still have 3 guitars! lol)

"George" was my old 'party/bonfire sing-a-long' guitar, with a few splits and scratches from many happy experiences. Twas a good practice instrument for me.
From c. 1983: 40 years old! (The numbers start looking scary when you're 59 years old, huh? lol)
Tis no amazingly-rare valuable instrument, unfortunately [laffs].



David (my brother) and I wanted to pass this on, so...
Mom & Dad's Canteen of Cutlery
Bone handles, silver
One of my parent's Wedding Presents, from 12 January 1952
71 years old!


(*) My sons started calling me 'Mal' after their mum remarried when they were still quite young. Rather than causing a negative fuss, I just ran with it at the time.

This year, Seb (my middle son) called me "Dad" again, for the first time in years. The others have along the way over the last few tears as well. I think we're a lot closer now than we were for a long time. Not that we never were not close, it's just that... circumstances often prevented us from being as close as we could have been at the time.
It may not sound like much, but Seb's comment lifted my soul through the roof.

Here are some of my son's latest pics etc.

Oh, of course I was in contact with all three of my sons on the day - of course! "Me happy!"

I continue to be very proud of all my sons 🥰


(*) Then there's been the Aussie MCG Test Cricket, and the Sydney-to-Hobart Yacht Race as well... that's about the only 'traditions' I have... dad (left) and I would watch these almost religiously together on Boxing Day (ie. the day after Xmas Day) for years! [laffs happily]. Hard to imagine he's been gone for 27 years.

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment