Saturday 13 January 2024

A Dream

Mal's Blog Post

What a cool dream I had...

While I can't play guitar much anymore, I woke up happily smiling at this one.

I was playing an old Fender guitar (which I didn't usually play) in a small guitar/music shop locally somewhere, jamming old blues tunes with some people, just hanging out.

In walked Keith Richards and Mick Jagger (but acting like normal random people), and they were immediately drawn to the grooves.

They suggested they'd like to play along, so (for some reason... you know how dreams don't often make sense! lol), we secluded ourselves in the small guitar technician's workshop out the back, just the three of us, behind a closed door.

It was just three old guys enjoying the groove of playing old blues music together, nothing starstruck etc at all. They were really friendly and sincere, just having fun.


There was one moment when the three of us smiled knowingly at each other, just appreciating the moment of playing these old blues grooves together privately. Keith shot me a smile and laughed. No 'show', expectations, performance, ego, cameras, videos, recording. Just three anonymous people playing in the moment, in that small compact environment.

There was nothing magically amazing playing or anything like that. I was blown away at how sincere, happy and encouraging they were, with just an average random Joe.

After about ten minutes there was a knock at the door, and one of their 'handlers' told them they had to leave.

As they got up to go, Mick said, "That was really cool... I haven't felt that good playing that stuff in years". Keith smiled in agreement. "Yeah, oh shit yeah."
"Do you miss it?", I said, "playing like this, just privately?"
"Oh yeah... catch-22 being who we are... we just can't turn up unannounced somewhere and just play like this, because people would go nuts and all that shit. But thanks so much... I think we both needed this."

After they'd left, what had just happened kinda hit me, and I floundered about for a few minutes trying to pack my guitar and gear away clumsily.

The music/guitar shop owner said it was getting late and he had to close up... the local security guy told us it was time to go because he needed to lock everything up.

People kept coming up to me as I was trying to pack up and ask me what it was like, and all I could honestly say was that "it was good relaxing and fun", simply because: it was!

Nice dream, as I can't play now. I woke up smiling, and happy... knowing I can still play in my subconscious.

PS. I was never a great player, just a competent hack, basically. lol.

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment