Saturday 18 November 2023

A Mid-Week Weekend

Mal's Blog Post

Colleen ("My Favourite Sister-in-Law" [a gag, as she is my only one]) was away for a week or so in Brisbane for her family, so the boys had a midweek Weekend together ("While the cat is away..." ? lol). I stayed at their place in Lithgow for a few days (Wednesday to Friday 15-17 Nov. '23), my only brother David and I just chillaxing together. No dramas, no stress, no agendas. Perfect.

"A Good Time Was Had By All."

We drove to Sydney for the day on Wednesday and visited the beach and our old 'haunts' - great shared memories together.

On Thursday we visited the nearby Hassans Walls (pics below); & later The Small Arms Factory in Lithgow - stunning displays and history.


Please note: I am NOT a gun enthusiast at all; this is where they designed and manufactured many small armaments for Aussies fighting in various wars etc. I was astounded by the artistic skill of designing and creating some of these amazing pieces they have in their great displays.
My brother has volunteered at the Museum to collate and save the many 100's of 1,000's of archived hand-drawn blueprints, designs and drawings for posterity. Some amazingly [rapidly losing] hand-made artistic skills.

We later visited the amazing "Into the Blue" interactive scenic and historic display in Katoomba. View the video here.


The Explorer's Tree... GONE!

I was mortified! How dare they! It's a glorious reminder of our Aussie adventurer's past!!! I would always look for it whenever we travelled over the Blue Mountains to/from Sydney. Why do they keep removing traces of the past all the time? They could have just moved it, for gawd's sake!



Thursday night I was able to watch the cricket on the huge screen (to me) TV at their place... so spoiled I was (grins).


Friday we had lunch in Lithgow with a friendly neighbour; a great time (again) just hanging out without any agenda.

Home again all safely by Friday afternoon; started editing/collating photos whilst listening to The Beatles... I was home again [laffs].


➽  NB. Click on any pic to view it in a larger size.

My only brother, David; he's 10 years older than I am.
He and his wife Colleen live in Lithgow NSW Australia (about a 45-minute drive away from me).

Some fun face filter pics of my brother

Their cat has the kutest little squeaky meow!
We thought it would shy away from me, but it ended up sleeping on my bed, head-buttingly approving of me... very noice (I'm a cat person).


➽ He has created some amazing garden spaces around their home.



Moi, November 2023


This is the house we grew up in
Lower Northern Beaches, Sydney NSW Australia
The new owners added a top story! Wow!
Our parents have been gone for a long time. We 'visited' them at their Memorial Garden spot in Leura.


Freshwater Beach (near Manly)
Sydney NSW Australia
Oh yes, the tide was out, but I STILL had to get my feet wet.


We visited Manly Dam, which is very close to where we grew up, used to swim and play etc. The parks are gardens are so good now... it used to be just virtually a bit of cleared bush when we used to go there; much better now.

(Photo: Facebook)



We just had to reminisce about a view we almost took for granted growing up from atop North Head, overlooking Sydney Harbour.


It was good to go back and have a look-see; "Things were the same but different."
I'll be honest: I don't think I would go back to Sydney again (unless I have to). It's not necessarily changed for the better with so many crazy developments everywhere since I lived there c. 25+ years ago.

We drove back to Lithgow to David's place, stopping a few times on the way back.


On Thursday we visited Hassans Walls near where David lives. Highest lookout in the Blue Mountains.
A-Maze-Ing views...



I live about 62 kms / 38 miles to the right (West) of these photos.




"Me Happy"

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment