Thursday 2 March 2023

A Delightful Overnight Stay


Wednesday 1st March 2023

Arrived at 8.30am at my local Public Bathurst Base Hospital Day Surgery Unit.

The whole procedure was completed by 10.30am - thought I was dreaming when I awoke from the light anesthetic. No side effects, no pain or discomfort, thankfully.

Another plus... all the fasting and 'Preparation' beforehand made me lose 3 kgs / 6.6 lbs in weight! [Me happy!]

I had to stay overnight in the Hospital, as there was no one immediately available to stay with me for the following 24 hours (my brother and I had pre-arranged this happily, but the day before he had a very sudden emergency; there were no negatives about that from me. Plus it was too late to ask someone to take a day off the day before, just to 'babysit me'! D'oh!). I was thankful to be able to get a bed, as the Hospital was full! They ended up placing me in the Rehab Ward (where the only available empty bed could be located) - with my own single room; the last three times over the years I've been to this hospital, the 'luck of the draw' has seen me having my own private room with toilet and shower - with an amazing view!

The view from my room over to the east side of Bathurst is amazing, even despite this panorama pic that was taken through the tinted window.

The staff all knew that they were basically just babysitting me until the morning, to make sure I had no ill effects from the procedure or anesthetic etc. I received 100% great friendly helpful professional care the whole time I was there - and it all did not cost me a single cent, thankfully - thanks to Medicare.

I took my Pre-packed 'Hospital Bag' with me, which is always ready to go at the drop of a hat.

I felt so spoilt! Laying in bed with air conditioning, watching Day 1 of the Test Cricket on my mobile phone with headphones - decedent luxury; I could only imagine my late dad happily thinking 'Woah!' at this modern tech we now take for granted: watching and listening to a free live feed of the Cricket from India via the free Hospital internet on a mobile phone.

I know how overworked (and underpaid) all staff at Hospitals are. As I was basically just staying there overnight, I did as much as I could to help take the workload off them a little bit: getting my own laundry, being helpful with the "Obs" (temperature, blood pressure etc) etc etc, without getting in anyone's way. Apart from that, I just sat or lay there quietly. At least one of the Nurses would pop in regularly... not to just check on me, but to keep tabs on the Cricket score (laffs).

That night, I just could not fall asleep. I wasn't in any pain or discomfort or mental agitation, the bed was comfy, the temperature was fine, and it was quiet and dark... I couldn't just seem to 'drop off'! I eventually awoke for my 6am "Obs", realising I finally had managed 3 hours after all... I just knew that would happen! [laffs]

The Doctor's report and results of 'The Procedure' were relatively good as well. My UC is 'OK'... not great, but OK. Phew.

I was home at 9.30am the next morning. Having cleaned and tidied the house before I left (fresh bed sheets, washed dishes, bins out etc) sure makes a simple difference, walking into a tidy home when you've been away, albeit only for 24 hours.

Yeah... I've done this all before [grins].




Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment