Monday 21 August 2023

I Am a Classic Introveret



I am a Classic Introvert
And that's quite OK by me!

"Just because I'm being quiet doesn't mean I'm mad, anti-social or depressed, sometimes I just don't feel like talking".


As Andrew said, trying to explain what it's like being an introvert

"...I can cope in social situations. It is just absolutely exhausting though, as an actor might feel after coming off stage". 

I get this... I remember coming off-stage after gigs, feeling physically and psychologically absolutely spent, and then having to socially mix with people afterwards... that was a difficult Catch-22 situation for me.

People naturally assumed I was an Extrovert, because they had literally just seen me jumping around on-stage, and just assumed I was an Extrovert... but that was a really big 'Mask' I would slip into, for that stage persona! After a gig, I just had to keep that 'Mask' on for a while to socially mix. It was OK with close friends because I could just 'chillax' with them afterwards, but when random strangers would come up to me and want some of my time, etc after a gig - that was kinda awkward for me, but it was OK... part of wearing that 'Mask', I guess.

But when I got home, in private, would literally just 'hibernate in my cave', until I could rest and emotionally re-energize again (let alone physically - I would sometimes physically lose up to 10kgs of weight in just pure sweat at some of those band gigs - seriously!

Also, when I used to do a lot of public speaking, the same was true... while not exercising the physical energy, the emotional/psychological energy was tough on me, as an introvert. People would assume I'd be an Extrovert, because I'd be up in front of people, looking calm, composed, fluent and confident as a Public Speaker; but it was a well-practised "Mask", I assure you!






Extroverts vs Introverts








Bookmark This Page: I Am a Classic Introvert
Also: Introvert

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment