Wednesday 21 February 2024

Thoon and Katia - My Goldfish




11 February 2024
2 years 4 months old!
Katia is now about 15 cm/5.9 inches in length, and Thoon is c. 13 cm/5.1 inches.

Katia and Thoon, 4 October 2023

Katia glowing in the sunlight

Thoon & Katia; "Yo! Human! Wassup?!"

20 September 2023
Happy 2nd Birthday Thoon & Katia!


14 January 2024
How the heck do you measure the length of an active goldfish? [laffs] Katia is now about 15 cm/5.9 inches in length, and Thoon is c. 13 cm/5.1 inches.

11 October 2023
I bought Thoon and Katia a new tank-cleaning vacuum, and it works like a charm! I just run the emptying hose out the front door, which empties onto the front lawn - no problem! Now cleaning/changing the water in their tank is much easier and simpler for lil' ol' me [yay!]. It even came with its own video, tho my machine is red [which, of course we all know, just goes faster! lol].

Now their tank looks clear and pristine every day... sure they don't appreciate the intrusion while the cleaning is taking place, but they do after it's all finished. They've never thanked me tho, either, ungrateful buggers [laffs].

I have to laugh... cleaning the tank mid-summer is better than mid-winter, as their water is BLOODY FREEZING! 🥶

"Me happy... fishies happy..."


15 August 2023
I caught myself making an unconscious Spoonerism today - instead of 'Thoon and Katia', it came out as 'Thatia and Koon'... I made myself laugh.

24 April 2023
I gave their fish tank a jolly good cleaning out today, including rinsing out the gravel etc. Poor Katia was NOT happy when she got momentarily stuck in the vacuum hose nozzle (she's fine)... plus neither of them was happy being placed in a small bowl during the cleaning process... it took them a while after it was all done to look me straight in the eye again [laffs]. Sturdy buggers they are.

28 March 2023
I think I saved the life of one of my goldfish today. Katia got a small pebble stuck in her mouth; she (I should not assume the gender of my goldfish, huh? lol. As it is, I have no idea what either of them are!) would have starved to death, as she had been unable to remove it!

I grabbed my small net, and of course, being the feisty Alpha fish she is, she put up a fight while I tried to catch her and try to do something to help. Thankfully, in her moment, the small pebble popped out all OK! Phew! No harm done.



10 July 2023
I know it doesn't sound like much, but I enjoy my two goldfishies. I've been enjoying this pair's company now for 1 year 10 months [grins]. Their "Birthday" is 20 Sept 2021.

Thoon & Katia
28 March 2023

10 March 2023

Katia 10 March 2023


💥 If anyone has any practical tips on how to get a good fishie photo, pls let me know! 💥 
Answer: get a bloody better camera [laffs]


My freshwater tank measures
600mm wide x 300mm deep x 400mm high
23.6 in  x  11.8 in  x  15.7 in
Tank Volume: 70 litres  /  18.5 US Gallons




(Originally Posted: 23 Sept 2022)

I attempted to take a picture of one of my two goldfish, "Thoon", because he's a bit of an oddity: he is a normal Comet, but he has three tail fins!

"Thoon's 3rd fin is a superpower, and he doesn't know" - SB

It doesn't negatively affect him at all, thankfully.


(NB. It's not easy taking a photo of a goldfish with a little 'point'n'shoot' camera!)

I kinda like the irony that I have a unique common goldfish! Thanks, Thoon! 🐠


Here's the tank and Katia putting on a show, whilst Thoon is shyly poking his head out from behind a plant (lower centre)


➽► So, why "Thoon"?

Short answer: it's a fun, silly, random name (very me...).

Long answer: In a band many years ago, we used to invent words for sounds (for silly fun)... 'Thoon' was "the sound of a cricket ball bowled just past off-stump..." 🏏

Much later, I discovered that 'Thoon' was the name of a Giant in Homer's "Illiad"! 😄

I know... it's bizarre, random and absurd... perfect!


➽► So, why "Katia"?
Basically - I just really liked that name for many years!





Answer: YES!
It's when they start talking back that... er um... [laffs]




(Not my tank, unfortunately! Thanks to @BrownsFanGurl for the vid!)

Relax with this video of Goldfish
(Not my tank tho!)





➽ Also see: 2 New Fishies




Also: Thoon

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

2 comments:

  1. Thoon's 3rd fin is a superpower, and he doesn't know. Metaphor there somewhere. Reminded me of the Goldfish Gus problem in Moon Knight. SB

    ReplyDelete