Thursday 14 November 2019

A Quick Update

I've been wanting to write an update blog post for a few weeks now, yet everytime I go to do it, my stupid #MS fingers say, "Nope!" It's so frustrating for me somedays, as other days I feel relatively fine. I'm not whinging – it's just a reality I just have to continually adapt to. Like trying to sign something yesterday – I couldn't feel the pen in my fingers at all, yet my signature looked [almost] OK... it's that whole muscle-memory thing again – and perhaps just sheer stubbornness, let's admit it [laffs]. My handwriting used to be so nice before too [grins]. Now, somedays it looks like a candidate for replacing Pittman's shorthand. Oh, I've gotta laugh at the whole absurdity of it all.

'Tis like yesterday, using my walker "Brian" to'n'from town; instead of wearing 'proper' enclosed shoes, I thought I'd wear sandals, as it was a warmish day... kicked my toes on the bottom of the walker when my left foot did its "MS-thing", didn't I... not once, but twice, dagnammit!? D'oh!

I finally got my tablet working again, after it went haywire on me after my whole ISP disaster the other month – I simply checked Google on how to reset it! D'oh! Too easy… and I thought I was smrt! I've got Skype working on it (haven't tried it yet), which means I can make international calls for free via the tablet – great way to catch up with a good friend and fellow MSer Jan in Spain (who has rung me a few times this way – I'm very grateful!)

I'm a cricket tragic, so when the 20/20's were on here recently, I was dismayed to discover they were NOT on Free-to-Air TV… a bit of a joke, really. I honestly don't watch much TV at all (DVD's really), and I can't justify getting cable/etc. There's plenty more cricket to come – and all that will be on free TV! Phew.

Now I've finally got rid of my car (it was very bizarre seeing it 'smashed' to get onto the back of a truck as a wreck to take to get crushed!), I've got some undercover outdoor space again, with the carport all cleaned out. Table'n'chairs and views, sitting with toast and a cuppa… decadence [laffs].

The snail mail service here is ridiculous! It took TWO WEEKS for my Hospital discharge paperwork to arrive!

Altho it seems most of Australia is under bushfire threat at the moment (and it's only mid-Spring!), I'm quite safe here. We've had appalling smoke haze from fires c.500kms away – and dust so thick, you couldn't see across town! It was like a brown-out.

A great book I read while in hospital "Diamonds and Dust" by Sheryl McCorry (2011 reprint). An enjoyable read about a woman's trials and tribs in cattle country in the remote Kimberly region of Australia. Thanks to some good friends who bought some books for me to read… I normally have a few in my 'hospital bag' ready to go, but not this time, alas.

I've been preparing in-advance for those stinking-hot summer days ahead – My MS and heat do NOT mix! I pulled out my lilo/air mattress – but it had a small slow leak! I was happy to find a puncture repair kit for next-to-nothing online… I know it sounds ridiculous, but I keep forgetting I can shop online for little things like that… like mothballs [laffs]. Now I'll be able to lay on the lilo in front of the lounge air conditioner and fan in relative comfort when it's stinking hot, unable to move… sure beats an old bean bag.

Crikies! I can't believe I took so long to write this email. Silly moi. Alls well otherwise.

Cyalayta and peas bee with ewe
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment