Friday 13 September 2024

Singin' in the Rain

Mal's Blog Post


I had a bizarre (but positive) reaction yesterday, from watching an old movie classic I hadn't seen. I'd only seen short clips.

Watching the glorious "Singin' in the Rain" (1952), with the a-maze-ing dancing of Gene Kelly and crew.

I sat there in tears... it was that good for me! What an old sook I am - and that's OK [grins].

A real Hollywood musical. Sure it was a bit clunky here and there (but it was meant to be!), but the dancing... OH WOW!!!

Amazing facts:

"In the sequence in which Gene Kelly dances and sings the title song while spinning an umbrella, splashing through puddles and getting soaked with rain (which is where I started to cry... such a classic scene), Kelly was sick with a 103 °F (39 °C) fever" (source).


A very youthful Debbie Reynolds looked so KUTE! The "Good Morning" scene was so intense for her that her feet bled afterwards! Professionalism! (source).



Donald O'Connor, a four-pack-a-day smoker at the time, had to stay in bed in the hospital for several days after filming the (intensely physical slapstick) "Make 'Em Laugh" sequence. (source).



No violence, sex, explosions, guns, death, CGI, diversity issues etc... just bloody good entertainment.

Mum loved movies... maybe I subconsciously missed watching and enjoying it together with her.

2024 would promote it now as: "Wanna dance? Why the fvck not... we're good at it!"

Perhaps I'd been watching the Catholic version of it instead: "Sinning in the Rain"?


► Also see: Mal's Movie Collection (1,000+ titles) 💥

► Also see: Mal's 5 out of 5 Movies 💥


Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment