Saturday 14 September 2019

A Nice Win


'Twas nice to see Manly rugby league team get up for a win against Cronulla, in the first game of the finals (28-16). Pretty good, considering there was a lot of new blood playing - and playing well. In front of a supportive-vociferous home crowd at Brookvale Oval (I grew-up literally within a roar of there, in Sydney), certainly lifted things for Manly, who were not expected to win.

Watching the last 20 minutes on TV, there was a camera shot out over the ocean off to the east, and in the darkness there was a great lightning bolt the cameras fluked to catch. Bought back many years-ago positive memories, of sitting atop North Head some nights, and watching lightning storms pass by out to sea, with lighting spectacular way out on the horizon - "Heaven's Fireworks".

Speaking of living near Brookvale Oval (it'll always be called that to me... none of this corporate name-change rubbish! lol), Dad took me to watch many games there, from about the age of 10. I had a sudden recall of one game, when we bumped into our cousins atop the hill, watching the same game. It was against Cronulla Sharks as well, and my cousins, Aunt & Uncle were living in Miranda at the time - totally in Sharks territory. Of course we sat together and cheered our teams - all good fun. (I'd totally forgotten about all of this!) Another good memory ... Manly won, of course... we all had a good laugh about that.

Next week, it's another sudden-death finals game for Manly, against Souths. Not bad, considering last year they came second-last!

I'm not a crazy sports/footy fan at all... since I grew up in that area, and Manly are a team that "people love to hate", I always have a laff when I tell people I follow them.

Now... back to the cricket!

Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment