Wednesday 20 September 2023

Some Favorite Books



Here are some favourite books of mine... listed in no particular order...


I caught the passion for reading and books from my mum, from the youngest age - thanks, mum!

💥 Also see my post from 2009:
"15 Books"


► Life of Pi by Yann Martel - 2001
An emotional, spiritual and philosophical journey, using paintings in the mind.


► Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien - 1955
What can be said, that hasn't already been said about this classic?


► The Far Road by George Johnston - 1962
Semi-autobiographical, two journalists amid utter human disaster, with drastically-opposing viewpoints.


 HHGTTG - by Douglas Adams (1979-2009)
Yes yes, I was one of the original hoopy froods who knew where his towel was, way back in 1980! Gagh! Still one of my favourite series of comedic books around. Adore the absurd abstractions on philosophy, theology and space/time in general! Thank you, Douglas Adams, for enabling us to take a 90-degree twist on reality with these books.

"The books are described as "a trilogy in six parts", having been described as a trilogy on the release of the third book, and then a "trilogy in four parts" on the release of the fourth book. The US edition of the fifth book was originally released with the legend "The fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhiker's Trilogy" on the cover..."


 Life Studies by Robert Lowell - 1959
My favourite poet... he's taking his family stories and turning them into something else here.


 My Brother Jack by George Johnston - 1964
A glorious view of a long-gone Australian society, warts and all.


 Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy - 1895
The protagonist is never good enough.


 The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - 1947
The Anne Frank Museum - http://www.annefrank.org


 1984 by George Orwell - 1949
This was NOT meant to be a "textbook"!


 Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - 1932
When people do not "fit".


 Animal Farm by George Orwell - 1945
"Some are more equal than others..."


 The Darkness Outside by George Johnston - 1959
Paranoia in the middle of nowhere... fearing some horrific unknowable 'social calamity is coming for them, an archaeological team in the desert - nature and time is against them.


 Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt - 1996
An almost-unbelievable biography, growing up in Irish poverty.
" 'Tis".


 The Far Side by Gary Larson - 1980/95
The first time I discovered these cartoons, I physically could not put them down... I had to borrow my friends' copy, and it all went from there. Love his absurd twist on reality.

As a total Beatleholic, this is THE best book about them written, bar none.


I was given a copy of my 7th birthday... bizarre silliness with twisted logic in art form. It's from here that my love of  "the visual" began.




Bookmark this page: Some of My Favourite Books
Also: Books
\
Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment