Saturday 15 December 2007

I Don't Like Feeling Like This

You know, when I was guilted into becoming Sailing Club secretary earlier in the year (by well-meaning but still friendly stand-over types), I wasn't exactly too pleased. I basically always enjoy helping out with things where I can, but I want to keep a wide berth from inter-personal petty politics. Too late, it seems. Already the new Treasurer is treating everyone like his fucking Public Servants, to bow and scrape to his every fleeting whim.

Well, fuck him. It's too small a Club to have someone Nazify the place like that. I mean, there's only like 18 or 20 people in total! So basically, I went there for the sailing and the socialization. I'm gonna resign as Secretary. I just don't want to get involved in petty ego bullshit. I've kept a wide berth and kept right out of things as it is, and this particular guy doesn't like me for it, I'm sure. Basically we have totally different personality types, and when it comes to organisational matters, things are either done his way or no way. I don't ignore him, but I don't necessarily "do things his way" either. Not to be spiteful or anything... there's just no need to approach things and talk to people the way he has been the last couple of months. I treat people as people. He seems treats them as items for his business agenda. The other problem is - he's the former Club secretary.
Well, if he wants to be in control, fuck him, he can have it. If he wants to be the Secretary again so badly, he can have it. I'm gonna resign quietly tomorrow during the Club Xmas Party.

What is upsetting me the most is - tomorrow is a Sailability day, where I'm heavily involved in that [and I love that 100%]. But the Sailing Club Xmas Party is on at the same time. That's fine... it's just a social BBQ and a few beers thing, no stress no dramas. We can duck up during the Sailability lunch break and have a quick social catch-up. But... I just don't want to go!

I hate feeling as though I don't want to go, because I know the Treasurer is gonna try and "have a meeting" while everyone is there, and there's basically no need or point in having one there and then. There's nothing to discuss, nothing new happening etc etc. It's a SOCIAL day, for fucks' sakes! So yeah, as soon as he starts murmuring about 'we need a meeting', the Commodore and myself have agreed to firmly say "No". If he starts carrying on, I'm literally gonna have to walk out the door, because I'm really afraid I'm gonna say something out loud that I will later regret.

And I just really hate feeling this way about it all. They're a fantastic small group of people. They really are. But why is it that as soon as people get a sniff of some sense of power they feel the need to exercise it over everyone else? I'm the other way... if things are running smoothly in our tiny little Sailing Club, it's just keep things moving along smoothly. No need to mix things up and upset people for no good reason. "If it aint broke don't fix it" kinda attitude. It's too small a place to try to turn into a business!

And this guy is trying to do exactly that.

I mean, bugger it... the whole reason I started going there in the first place was the SAILING! Not the inter-political bullshit. Just have a chance to get out on the water with a few other like-minded sailors and potter about.

So yeah, that's why I'm hoping I end up out on the water with Sailability clients all day, rather than deal with petty squabbles from one guy.

I don't like thinking and feeling like this, either. Gagh.

And, on a lighter note...

THE PSYCHIC DOG AND THE TELEPHONE

A Kansas farm wife called the local phone company to report that her telephone failed to ring when her friends called. She explained that on the few occasions when it did ring, her dog would moan loudly just before her phone rang.

The telephone repairman proceeded to the farm, eager to meet this psychic dog. Although, he was somewhat concerned that the problem was really just a senile woman.

Upon arrival, he climbed the pole, hooked in his test set and dialed the subscriber's house. The phone didn't ring at first, but then the dog moaned and the phone could be heard ringing.

Climbing down from the pole, the telephone repairman found:

1. The dog was tied to the telephone system's ground wire with a steel chain and chain link collar

2. The ground wire connection to the ground wire was loose

3. The dog was receiving 90 volts of signalling current whenever the number was called

4. After a couple of ringing jolts, the dog would start moaning, presumably from the discomfort of being shocked, and then would urinate

5. The wet ground would complete the circuit, allowing the telephone to ring.


All of which just goes to show that yes, some problems CAN be fixed by pising and moaning.

(Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment