Friday 9 September 2022

The Queens Is Dead. Long Live The King


The Queen is Dead.

Long Live The King.







I actually saw the Queen and Princess Anne quite clearly, as they were driven down Allambie Road in Allambie Heights (about 200 meters from our place) in 1970! I was 5 years old, and there were crowds massed everywhere just to catch a glimpse. It was funny seeing her, standing at the same bus stop I later caught my school bus from every morning.

This pic was taken on the same day, at nearby Manly
(Thanks to Sally M. for the pic)




I was 9 years old when I shook Prince Phillip, The Duke of Edinburgh's hand in 1973! He was presenting various Awards at St Ives High School in Sydney, and the Duke went on a walkabout. I was wearing my Cub Scout uniform.

That's my "5-Minutes-of-Fame".




➽ Updated: 20 September 2022

Watching the Queen's Funeral last night (Eastern Australian time) was fascinating.

Altho it was to start at 8pm, by 6pm, I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I headed for a nap. Thankfully, I woke up at 7.40pm (no alarm, either), just in time. I guess the Universe wanted me to participate in that historical moment, huh?

I 'lost it' when the Lone Piper played at the end of the Westminster Funeral... always reminds me of my dad (we had one played at his funeral, but a positive memory all the same).

The most beautiful touch (to me): the spontaneous flowers being thrown at Her passing Hearse by the gathered crowds all along the whole route to Windsor Castle, and the Hearse covered with random flowers as a result. "People loved her".


I couldn't keep my eyes off it at all... ended up watching until 2am in the morning, just after the St George Chapel Interment Service.

It suddenly felt very real... wow, The Queen is Dead!

Long Live the King. (It sounded bizarre hearing that being sung, huh? I mean, all I've ever known is a Queen!)

Quickly: A huge thumbs-up to 7-yo Princess Charlotte (third in the Line of Succession), who stayed the distance like a champion; it would have felt like an incredibly long day for someone that age... not bad, huh?!


And Camilla (Queen Consort) looked... absolutely haggard and world-weary already, the poor woman (that's not a negative on who she is, btw).

Then... all those people involved (some who were not-so-young!) with the very-lengthy slow-march process... that would have been exhausting!





Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment