Tuesday 20 August 2019

Some Positive News

My awful internet provider, after ongoing complaining by me to the Govt. Telecommunications Ombudsman (TIO), have finally agreed to cancel my internet account and disconnect me from themselves – at no cost to me… it only took them THREE MONTHS to do so! It's been ridiculous. I received an email confirming they will be doing this within 30 minutes of me sending a complaint addressed both to them and the TIO. Later that day I received a call from the TIO confirming that it's actually happening. I still can't believe it… while I have not switched to a new provider just yet (but will be doing so asap), after three long months plus, I will once again have not only home internet, but a home phone service – plus it'll be MUCH cheaper than what the old mob wanted to extort out of me!

I think adding a sentence in my complaint about "feeling discriminated against as a disabled pensioner living in Regional Australia" might have pushed some buttons, perhaps…?!

I don't apologize for feeling excited about all of this… I rarely feel as tho I get a "Win", so this is a biggie for little 'ol me.

On another tack – the 2nd Ashes Cricket Test started on Wednesday night… come on Aussies! Thank goodness it's something I can actually watch without having to pay for it (or need home I'net access for!) – thank you Free-to-Air TV. I honestly don't watch much TV anymore, anyway… I don't have pay/cable TV – there'd be no point. I've watched more ABC TV News than I ever have these past three months, I think – I normally get all the important news from their website!

As it was, the crickets' first days' play was rained out – bugger! But the Aussies bowled-out the Poms on the 2nd days' play – woot! Some great cricket – and some late nights (it starts 8pm here, and goes thru till about 2am… but I never last that long!) Love the visual of this old man wrapped-up snugly in his long-gone-grandmother's hand-knitted crochet blankie, in front of the idiot box, sipping on a warm cup of Milo [ie. hot chocolate], late into the cold night [laffs]. Onto the 3rd day…2/3rds of which was rained out! Damn… unless something miraculous happens, I think we're only heading for a draw. Dawww [laffs]. Mind you… watching Aussie batsman Steve Smith's wholly-unorthodox batting style is entertaining as it is – altho it obviously works well for him! Another thing I thought was fascinating… the English crowd at Lord's is so quiet and reserved, compared to other grounds… perhaps as it's the "Home of Cricket", there's a certain respect? Or maybe it's the eccentric jackets and ties the members wear? I don't know… but it's quite surreal not hearing the English "Barmy Army" chanting their noisy support in full voice.

Oh well… some awesome cricket, despite a draw in the end. Poor Steve Smith copped a horrid blow to the neck… but one of the funnier moments was when one of the English batsman copped a ball just next to his [cough] "Protector"… falling to the ground, he screamed out "DICK"! The commentators couldn't help but stifle a snigger. I laughed out loud.

Then there's the Aussie Rules football game that was played in falling SNOW the other week in Canberra – first time that's ever happened, apparently [this is Australia, remember! lol]. It looked all so bizarre – the crowd watching the game loved the experience, while they froze their buns off. The players kept warm by running hard and steaming like human kettles [laffs].
 
This was the view I saw of our snowfall, on the ranges off to the east, the other weekend.
(Image source: Google)

A couple of months ago, while I was really sick, I randomly turned on my TV and managed to catch a one-hour program featuring my all-time favourite Greek island of Hydra! I was so excited to be able to actually see and walk about the island, of which I've only managed to see photos. I've been fascinated about the place, after discovering years' ago that my favourite Australian authors (George Johnston "My Brother Jack", and his wife Charmian Clift… I have all their books - probably the only other person who does, apart from the National Library! lol) lived on the island as ex-pats, back in the late 50's-early 60's. They took a struggling Canadian poet under their wing at the time, who'd recently moved onto the island as well, an unknown named Leonard Cohen…

Sunday would have been my mum's 90th birthday, if she was still with us… how quickly 12 years seemed to have passed. We used to love talking about movies, and the art of movie-making… she would have adored some of the films that have come out since she left us. I often watch something and think of how my mum and I would have talked for hours about the way a certain scene would have been created, acted, shot, lit, edited etc etc – all for the pure pleasure of it. Miss ya, mum-mum!

Quite a while ago now, but I was reminded when I was walking up past the Library recently… there was an old shorthaired grey cat that lounged happily in either the sunshine or the shade, outside one of the local shops. I'd always say hello and give it a quick pat as I passed, as did everyone – it was almost a minor local landmark. I was saddened to learn that the cat had passed away, and missed seeing it as I walked past the other day. Ahhh… the joys of living in a rural town.


MS random moments: walking downtown the other day (with "Brian" my walker), I suddenly noticed I was starting to fall off to my left… like a sudden momentary loss-of-balance giddiness, that quickly passed – thank goodness for gripping onto the handles on my walker – stopped an embarrassing spill for sure!!! I've only experienced that sensation once before, about a year ago, so its' random appearance took me by surprise, and startled me a little bit at the time. Alls' well, tho.

After I mentioned the Louth Races the other week in a previous post, my brother shared a fascinating insight I had no idea about:
" …the township of Louth in NSW was actually founded by [my sister-in-laws'] great great grandfather, who came out from Ireland and named the town after his birth place in Ireland, before he moved onto greener pastures …. the well known 'glowing cross' at the cemetery was erected for one of his several wives, so I have found myself married into this well known family and inheriting their history as well as our own."
It's a small world after all [grins]

I told you it was dry out at Louth… this is the normally full'n'flowing Darling River… she once hosted commercial paddle steamers in better days! This ongoing drought is really starting to hit home, even to the "city-slickers" on the coast. (Image source: Facebook)

I willingly ate and enjoyed Brussel sprouts this evening – don't pity me [laffs].

Music today includes Crowded Houses' outtake album "Afterglow" (2000), with almost every song good enough to be on any one of their albums (when the original line-up existed) – some great pieces, really. When a melody gets stuck in your head, you know it's gotta be good. Love my music – it's my 'medicine'.

Peas bee with ewe
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment