Wednesday 10 December 2014

Primus


I feel a sense of shame! I had never heard the actual music of Primus - until 2 days' ago! Yes, I know - please forgive me! I'd heard of them, but until I actually heard... well, I'm hooked!

Les Claypool is a bassplayer I'm in awe of! He turns conventional bass playing on its head - in contemp rock music, at least! Plus he has the bestest kooky-est sense-of-humour, which I totally get. I mean, their latest album is a musical exploration of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - the Gene Wilder one! Oh yes... very bizarre, but somewhat compelling.

Playing like this invigorates and inspires me to push on as a bass player... but it's hard finding a drummer (who is available!) to play anything vaguely like this stuff with, around here! Catch-22. Tho it inspires me to practise harder, and look in different, refreshing directions as a player.

And yes, that is an acoustic dobro-resonator bass!!! A Michael Kelly Bayou 4 Resonator Bass (modified, with an EMG pickup installed). Magical!!!
And this is what happened to Lee Van Cleef. heh heh.


Love their surrealism.


Peas be with ewe 
Mal

No comments:

Post a Comment