Thursday 14 August 2008

Right Hand

I've been trying to focus on my bass-guitar playing this week, trying to motivate myself to put in a solid hour each day of practice.

I can feel it's starting to pay off. It's not that I've forgotten... that's like riding a bike - you never forget. No, it's the fact that I do not practice enough on just my bass playing alone.

Needless to say, as a result of all this playing of a big fat five-stringed thing, I have a small blister on my finger! No no, not the left fingering hand - on the bloody right hand! Goes to show how out-of-practice I am with just sitting back and pedaling / plodding along! But it's a good thing, really... makes me realise that while I've noticed my bassplaying hasn't been exactly up-to-scratch over the past two weeks, this is the bloody reason for it! D'oh! I guess I take it too much for granted. I can just pick up a bass and play any old time, but i need to really spend some concentrated effort focusing making my technique more effective again, the way it used to be. Blah blah blah.


I guess the left hand didn't know what the right... oh, forget it...



I watched a very bizarre, albeit extremely convincing movie this evening. Picked it up from the local Library, after I'd heard some interesting things about it. It's a very dark, surreal sci-fi film about philosophy and madness, yet almost impossible to classify. I don't normally watch these type of things, but this one got me in straight away, and I couldn't wait to see how it all panned out in the end. Very strange, surreal, haunting, memorable.
"Donnie Darko" (2001).


"... A lot goes on here. There's a meditation on the possible overlap between madness and the ability to perceive the divine...."
I know I'm going to have to watch it again, because it's one of those films that contains many interwoven layers (no, Ogres aren't like onions... oh, shut up, Mal!). It wont be everyones' cup-of-tea, as I thought it wouldn't be mine. But I stand corrected. Tis like "Harvey" under psychosis!



Sorry 'bout that previous post... I'm just doing some blog tidying-up and housework! Gagh! Quick, take a picture! :P
Peas be with ewe

Subscribe Subscribe to this Blog

3 comments:

  1. That's the film where he films a plastic bag wafting around in a little breeze? That scene really stayed with me. (and actually only that scene).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am being bombarded by synchronicity lately - I was just talking about this very movie this afternoon and encouraged to see it. Is it able to be habndled alone - daytime or night time. I can handle Sci Fi/ thrillers action etc but not horror - makes me feel sick...

    ReplyDelete